Thomas Peatling, a Bury St. Edmunds man, started a wine and spirit business partnership with a Mr Hepplewhite in 1826 at Wisbech, Cambridgeshire. By 1830, Smith, Brown & Peatling had established branches at Bedford and St. Ives. Later Brown dropped out and the company became known as Thos. Peatling & Sons.
At the beginning of the last century, Peatlings acquired an old business in Kings Lynn and in 1911 took over the spacious cellars of Aplin Robinson & Percival. They then became agents to Greene King & Sons of Bury St. Edmunds with whom they joined forces in 1934.
A further addition to this alliance was Herbert Cawdrons wine and spirit business at nearby Wells-on-Sea in 1954, followed in 1957 by H.A. Tidnam of Wisbech, renowned particularly for its Port trade and with strong House of Commons connections.
The company then trading as Peatling & Cawdron incorporated several other small businesses before reverting to its original name of Thos. Peatling in 1988.
In 2000, Nicholas Corke, having spent 17 years employment at Greene King, led the current Thomas Peatling team in a management buy out returning Thomas Peatling to independent family run ownership and completing the circle.